Sunday, April 18, 2010

Words, words, words and 'Waffles'

I love letters.

Love receiving letters in the mail.

That's why I have a pen pal(she is slacking right now, but I have one- Jessica Love gets a side eye accompanied by finger wagging). I think it was second grade with Mrs. Siley. She started my love of letter writing and receiving. We had pen pals at a school in CT.

I would get so excited to write my letters because I knew that meant I was going to get one in return. An unopened letter can say ANYTHING. Will the pen pal answer the questions you asked in your last letter or will you have to ask again and what will the pen pal want to know about you or will they give details of a happy or tragic event or is there an invitation in that letter...the possibilities...

Letters.

You can't take them back. What you write is said.

I have a few letters out in the world I would like to find and burn...I can't believe I wrote that...if you love me you will burn them...please? SULS, please burn or shred them or burn and shred them. Hopefully you've lost them or they already found the trash.

---
The best parts about a letter are: 1)the person's handwriting...I truly appreciate how much handwriting tells you about a person and their state of being 2)you can read letters over and over again 3)it's just for you- few things are more personal...

---

Just when I was fed up with my pen pal's slack I got a surprise letter in the mail. Today. I got a letter today. From WAFFLES. It made my day. Waffles has a way of turning an ordinary day into a more than magical one. This letter...this is the second letter I have received from him...

Almost a year ago, while on a silent retreat Waffles gave me my first letter. I read that letter at least once a month. It's simple and it makes me happy, and it makes me think.

The letter I received today made me smile ALL DAY and NIGHT! I couldn't stop thinking about Waffles and the crazy things I have seen him do, his great story telling. I couldn't stop appreciating him and my life and all of my friends and my family- all because of that letter. He softened me up for the whole day. Amazing! Now I'll have to read BOTH of those letters once a month...ahh, my piece has received it's companion almost a year later...teeheehee(I'm giggling)...thank you for the words, the letter, the love!

It's a wonderful blessing to be reminded that the smallest actions can inspire...

---
Dear Waffles,

Just in case you decide to read this blog one day I need you to know that you always make me smile and laugh(you also make me giggle- not many people can make me giggle- but you know this),you remind me to be honest and true and you help me, and you are a great friend...you TEACH me so many things, you always make me FEEL so many things- like when you sang this song and ate kettle corn at the same time(see video below)...chuckle, chuckle...

I love you,
Metch

---

3 comments:

TParris said...

oh my goodness!! *sigh* (and big cheesey smile on my face)

Robyne said...

Sorry, Queen, I have EVERY letter you wrote me. They are in a special box that I will keep forever. Hey, I might need them for Access Hollywood one day! :) Thanks so much for Saturday. You are beyond AMAZING!!! :)

Metch said...

What does that special box look like and exactly how long is forever?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...