Paris here I come!
I do my fair share of imagining and over the years-despite how corny it is- I've imagined: myself in front of the Eiffel Tower(wearing something red) having my photo taken by a stranger, walking down the Champs- Elysees and catching a film without subtitles where I don't understand a word but I understand the story, getting on a boat going up and down the Seine right after a nice bicycle ride.
It's eerie because when I've imagined myself in Paris I've always been solo and funny enough that's how it will be.
I've imagined my picnic in Paris- with the fresh bread sticking out of the basket or bag and my hair is wrapped(real tall like Ericka Badu used to wear) and the Parisians dressed in yellows and whites look at me and say, "she's so African and she's in Paris and we love her like we loved Nina Simone." Yep, in my imagination they really say that. Don't even ask what I imagine when I prep for Kenya, Egypt and Greece.
And I'm a sucker for touristy things. Standing inside of the Notre Dame Cathedral, near the Arc De Triomphe, a little Dali anyone, wine tasting and back to the Eiffel Tower for a too expensive maybe not so good meal at night as the city lights up...I've always skipped the Louvre on my short imagined trips to Paris but maybe I'll make it there in reality. Isn't that what adults do? Maybe not.
Either way the best thing about traveling is realizing that despite a few customs, different roads, rules and sometimes a different language people are the same... I can't wait to see how much of the same the Parisians in Paris are.
I celebrate differences but man I'm learning that celebrating the sameness is important too.
So many things to do in Paris. I look forward to doing what I love to do most when I leave NYC- hang with the people who are from where I'm visiting and absorb... I'm ready for a Parisian stroll people!
Did I mention I'm getting there by luxury liner... Yes I'll be back on the Queen Mary 2. Oh did I mention that I don't speak French? Oui- my life is totally SHITTY FAB!
Pictures and posts to follow of course.
Have you been to Paris? What shouldn't I miss while I'm there?

14 comments:
Have a lovely trip! I was in Paris four years ago, and I'm planning a trip next May to catch a couple days of the French Open.
Thank you for stopping by Grace. I'm looking forward to it like you wouldn't believe...
Ok first of all I love the title of this blog! Yall Rock! I will be back. Oh and I came over from The Lady Bloggers blog hop.
Enjoy your weekend!
Margaret, welcome, welcome, welcome. We are so glad you hopped over and we look forward to your return visits!
As far as the title goes... it's the absolute truth. OUR LIVES ARE SO SHITTY FABULOUS!!!
Took a trip to margsworld.info and I must say you rock too.
--Poppin' In from LBS...So happy I did. Loved reading about your new Paris Adventure. WOW!!! How exciting.
"I've imagined my picnic in Paris- with the fresh bread sticking out of the basket or bag and my hair is wrapped(real tall like Ericka Badu"
Oooh, I love that part :) Fabulous.
Hey My Inner Chick! Thanks for poppin' in. I'll let you know if I was able to keep the head wrap up- haven't worn one that high before but I will once I land in Paris!
We are so happy you came and we hope you come again.
Have a great trip. I feel like women who travel for vaation are so brave. I have yet to do that.
Metch, what a lovely post! I read two things and swooned--Paris and Nina Simone! Nina, oh my God, they don't make them like that no more! I've been to Paris and girl, let me tell you, it's going to be worth more than one post! I highly recommend the Louvre, because, come on, are you really going back without being able to say you saw the very "piccola" portrait of the Mona Lisa? The Champs Elysees will blow you away, as will the Arc de Triomphe. The street artists are wonderful and can you can't go back without standing on the precise spot on the bridge where Carrie Bradshaw had her Paris moment, now can you? Oh, and don't forget the Sacre Coeur! Amazing! Thanks for dropping by my blog and commenting. Much appreciated! :)
I went to paris and london by myself for a week when I was younger and had a blast! Have a fun trip! New follower from from blogaholic, have a great rest of your weekend!
http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/
I'm a fellow LBS. I love Paris and you will, too. You should do all the touristy things if this is your first trip. (They're popular for a reason!). The Louvre, River Seine, Champs d'Elysee. The Eiffel Tower is more exciting and romantic at night...though you can't go inside. I, personally, think the ride up is overrated. If you decide to do it, avoid the restaurant inside. The food is bad. There are so many lively cafes you should be spending your time in. If you care where Jean Paul Satre is said to have gone to do his writing, visit Cafe Flore. Have a fab trip!
Oh, well...I hit the "publish" button a little too quickly...without giving my LBS affiliation: my blog is The Spinsterlicious Life
www.TheSpinsterliciousLife.com
bring a lock and key to ad to fence. Write your wish, lock on fence. kiss the keys and throw in the water. It is to bring you luck. we live five hours from paris. can't wait to get there.
@Bella- I'm going to do as you say. I definitely want to come home and say I did everything!
@Frugal thank for following and I promise to have a blast... your biscuits look good!
@Eleanore- I love SPINSTERLICIOUS!!! Note to self order a t-shirt. Just like Bella's advice I'm taking yours too- I'll be doing it all.
@Ms. Sarah thank you for stopping by. I will pack a lock and wish so hard when I toss the key... Most of my wishes near bodies of water have come true- the important ones anyway.
Thank you all for your comments!
Hey, hope you have a fantastic time in Paris!
If you get the chance, I HIGHLY recommend Montmartre. The Sacre Coeur is at the top of the hill which is one of the big tourist things to see, but to get there you can either get the funiculaire, or you can walk up. It's a bit of a tiring walk as all uphill, but you'll get to see the cutest, prettiest streets on the way, it's well worth it and such a lovely walk! And also, once you get to the top you will have the most amazing view of Paris!!
Also, walking along the Seine, if you go along the Left Bank you can see Bouquinistes, stalls that sell used and antique books, vintage postcards, some vintage posters - really nice to stroll along and have a little look around!
And for dinner, if you are in the 5eme (the latin quarter) La Petite Perigourdine on Rue des Ecoles is amazing, if you like meat the Filet de Beuf avec Aligot is like you just died and gone to heaven :-)
Anyway, there you go the longest comment ever but I'm a huge fan of Paris! That and now that I'm in Hong Kong I won't be going any time soon so that was a bit of living vicariously through you! Looking forward to your photos :-)
Post a Comment